A Five-Step Guide on How to Complete a UFH Application: online/ offline
If you want to apply to UFH, the University of Fort Hare, you might feel unsure about how it’s done and what the process entails. We understand how stressful it can be, and we also know that there are many factors to consider. We want to remind you that although the UFH application process might seem complicated, it is doable.
In this article, you’ll find a step-by-step guide on how to complete the UFH online application
The University of Fort Hare in a Nutshell
The University of Fort Hare (UFH) opened in 1916 and has ever since been an equitable University that commits itself to provide teaching and research excellence to its students and the community.
Fort Hare University prides itself as the birthplace of the black consciousness movement, which Leaders established in the 1970s. Today, UFH has taken on the role of a promoter of new knowledge that focuses on reshaping post-Apartheid South Africa. The university also aims to empower economic, political, cultural and social revolutions around Africa.
The University of Fort Hare has three campuses. The university’s main campus, Alice campus, is situated 120km west of East London, next to a small town known as Alice. The Bhisho Campus is close to King William’s Town, and it houses the Institute of Development Assistance Management and the School of Government and Public Administration.
The East London campus lies in East London’s city-centre and provides distance learning courses and short programs.
UFH has five faculties: management and commerce, Health Science, Education, Social Sciences and Humanities, Agriculture, and the Faculty of Nelson R. Mandela School of Law.
How to Apply to UFH in 5 Steps: Online
Before You Can Start the University of Fort Hare Application, You’ll Need the Following:
- A valid email address and cell phone number.
- South African applicants will need an Identification document number. International applicants will need a valid passport number.
- The university won’t process your application until it has received proof of payment for the application fee.
- Scan documents and make sure that the content is clearly visible.
Step One: Documentation and UFH Application Fee
You’ll need specific documents to complete your UFH application. Take the original with a clear copy and an identification card to a local police station to get it certified. Then scan the certified copies so that it is available electronically.
- Certified copy of Identity Document/ Passport (international students)
- Marriage certificate (if applicable)
- The UFH application fee proof of payment
- Certified copy of Matric certificate or September grade 12 results if you’re still in matric.
- SAQA (South African Qualifications Authority) verification certificate (International students)
- Academic records (If you attended another university)
Bank: Standard Bank
Branch code: 050119
Account name: University of Fort Hare
Account number: 282101357
Reference: Your name and surname
Step Two: Visit the UFH Application Webpage
➢ Click on ‘apply now’ and enter your ID number/ passport number.
➢ Click on ‘continue.’
The site will redirect you to the UFH online application form.
Step Three: Application Form
The UFH online application form will require the following information:
- Personal details
- Contact details
- Next of kin
- Citizenship/visa type
- Home language/languages
- Are you employed?
- Applicants with disabilities
- Academic details
- Financial aid
- Grade 11/12 results
- UFH Requirements
Step Four: Confirm Information
Before submitting your information, make sure you have attached all the necessary information. Be sure to read through your application form and check that you have provided the correct information.
Step Five: Track Your UFH Online Application
Once the UFH has received your application, The university will notify you via SMS. You can also track your UFH application status here.
How to Apply to UFH: Offline| Hard-Copy
- You’ll need the same documents discussed in step one.
- Download an application form for undergraduates here.
- You’ll need to pay the application fee. (See banking details in step one)
- Send your required documents and your application form to one of the following addresses:
|ALICE CAMPUS The Registrar University of Fort Hare Private Bag X1314 Alice 5700||EAST LONDON CAMPUS The Registrar University of Fort Hare Private Bag X9083 East London 5200|
- You’ll receive an SMS when the UFH has received your application, and you can track your application here.
The University of Fort Hare has specific minimum requirements for each course. UFH will consider two factors:
- Your matric results (National Senior Certificate)
- School subjects (some courses will require specific subjects: mathematics/ life sciences).
It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the criteria set by UFH. If you don’t meet the minimum requirements and apply anyway, you’ll lower your chances of getting into UFH.
Bachelor Degree minimum UFH requirements:
- National Senior Certificate (NSC), with at least four NSC subjects with an achievement above 50% with a minimum of 21 APS points
Diploma minimum UFH requirements:
- National Senior Certificate (NSC) with an achieving rating of 40% or more in 4 (four) subjects with a minimum of 15 APS points
What Is APS?
APS stands for Admission Point Score. Your total APS score determines your eligibility for a specific course.
How to Calculate Your APS Score
Here is a list of the 20-credit subjects that contribute to your APS. Note that Life Orientation is not on the list.
- Agricultural Sciences
- Business Studies
- Consumer Studies
- Dramatic Arts
- Engineering Graphics and Design
- Information Technology
- Life Sciences
- Mathematical Literacy
- Physical Sciences
- Religion Studies
- Visual Arts
You can calculate your APS with your top six subjects. (Life Orientation excluded). Use the following table to calculate your APS.
It is essential to apply to UFH within the stipulated time frame. The university expects thousands of applicants. So if you missed the deadline, you risk being placed on a waitlist or not being accepted at all.
If you don’t have your matric results yet, you can apply with either your grade 11 results or your current matric results. Keep in mind that the UFH will request your final matric results at a later stage.
Each faculty will have specific dates for when they are opened for applications. We suggest completing an online application as it is fast and easy. If you are sending in your application by hand, make sure that it will reach the university in time. All UFH applications close in November 2021. Check out the UFH Website for specific closing dates.
➢ See the UFH registration guide.
Registration is the next step after being accepted to study at the University of Fort Hare. You’ll receive an email with registration dates and requirements. The university will also give you information on whether your registration will take place online or on campus. You’ll be able to make use of the computer lab on campus to complete your registration.
Keep in mind that UFH will require a registration fee on registration day. With the registration process, you can update or change the following:
● Personal information: address, marital status etc.
You’ll receive the following information per registration:
● Course modules for the first semester
● class schedules
● Subject study guides
Before completing your UFH online application, you must do proper research on the course you want to study. We suggest reading about the course specifics and the UFH requirements that go with it. Here are links to each of the faculties.
Waiting for Feedback from UFH
Waiting to hear if your UFH application has been successful or not can be frustrating. Remember that you can track your application (see step five) by using your identity number. Also, make sure that you have sent in all the required documents and paid the application fee. It is also vital that you meet the UFH requirements to have a successful application.
We know the stressful process of applying to university. That’s why we created an easy-to-follow step-by-step guide on how to complete the UFH online application. If you follow it, you’ll have fewer things to be concerned about.